Friday, September 13, 2013

The Four L's of the High School Reunion


Opening Night of the Class of 1983
I never thought I would be blogging “real-time” from my 30th reunion, but after attending the first night's festivities, I was overwhelmed with positive feedback, so I will try again.
[Note:  we'll see how many people really follow-up with a view at this installment; now that we’ve all come here to Dallas to celebrate our 30th reunion. The build-up is over, the event has kicked-off!
The comments on Facebook© this morning speak to a lot of this; it was funny how so many drank a little too much, and thought the music was too loud?!]
I was blown away. For a group pushing 50, everyone looked very good. Too busy living life to focus on this reunion as much as the two previous reunions; I perceived the Thursday night group was as pure as I can expect for a group of Highland Parkers. Maybe it was the lack of spouses at the event last night, but it got real in a hurry.
My impression was that raising your kids in Highland Park was not as big a priority as the last time we met. In 2003, it seemed a badge of honor to afford, live, and send your kids to Highland Park schools.
This time, it seemed that people were just glad to be in attendance; notwithstanding the neighborhood in which they lived. Much of the conversation was going back to the points together in school, just as much as what we do in the present day.
The fact that so many people thanked me personally for writing what I thought about the approach to this 30th reunion shows me that the space between our lives is smaller than we think. This is a breakthrough weekend.
On the drive into Dallas, the satellite radio “oldies channel” prepared me for the thoughts I had tonight. The period music took me back to the places where it played as a soundtrack to high school. The time in the presence of my old friends did the same thing.
Quick thoughts about “expectations” for those who are coming in today:
Just hug your friends, everyone deserves a good hug. It’s been too long

Listen for those dramatic turning points in their story where life turned on a dime
Tell your story in a few words, respecting the difficulties that brought your friends to this place; they are just as important facts as yours
Parents love to talk about their kids! Listen to the “child stories” and re-live the joy of mothers and fathers; so many have watched their babies grow up and leave the nest
Acknowledge the pain, and the joy that your friend endured or celebrated in order to arrive at this place tonight
I want to specifically remember something about another person and our time together in school, thirty years ago; especially so I can thank them for what they did to make it so fun back in the 70s and 80s. The world was such a different place and the culture dealt with fewer deep issues, in my opinion.
Listen. Laugh. Love. Live. Those four L’s are the touch-points of this reunion.
See you tonight at the P.

©Mark H. Pillsbury

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Mark. As eloquent as ever.
    - Elizabeth Thompson Showalter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put myself out there trying pay someone a compliment from so many years ago....

    Some things never change.
    What a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed talking with you last night!

    Brandy

    ReplyDelete