Thursday, July 28, 2011

KIAH (CW) Channel 39 NewsFIX

Watched Channel 39 CW Houston News FIX last night in the 9 O'clock hour and it is a new type of late evening news for the younger demographic (if they actually watch the news on TV).

Part TMZ, part Twitter, part tabloid trash, part newscast: a quick hitting hybrid for the younger TV generation not hip to Master Dave Ward and Gina Gaston over on the traditional ABC station.

It is apparent that news will never be the same, after social media gets us the feed in 140 characters or less. I found it distracting as I relaxed in a dark room, but it was interesting. "A" for effort, 39.

Call it the ADD/ADHD newscast for the under 30-set, but it had an eclectic mix of infortainment and news. The billboards advertising the NewsFIX all over town make it appear this is a major push for the station. Good luck.

1 comment:

  1. I do love Dave Ward and his smooth delivery of a story. Gina Gaston is so precise...and I have a soft spot for her bc she frequents one of my fav dessert spots. But I do see how the younger crowd would find sound-bite news more attractive. I shall give 39 a whirl this week.

    ReplyDelete